Sunday, March 23, 2008

JUST DROP DEAD!

So... When was the last time someone told you to JUST DROP DEAD? When was the last time you thought about telling someone else to "JUST DROP DEAD!" Probably the last time you were cut off in traffic, right?
I wonder if I should admit it... Tom and I have been saying it to each other all day. We've been having a hard time refraining from suggesting that it would be a good thing to just drop dead. It's quite freeing, actually, to be able to tell your spouse to "JUST DROP DEAD!" Wow what a release to get that off my chest!
Funny thing, to come away from Easter service this morning with that saying on our minds. I'm sure Pastor Ron wasn't meaning for us to speak to one another with such hostile words. Never-the-less, Tom and I both picked up on something he said in passing about being dead to sin and alive unto Christ. He went on but Tom and I both were stuck on that phrase. So we came home and looked up a bunch of verses that talk about it.
Romans 6 is a whole chapter on the subject. Here's a few phrases from that great chapter.
...as many of us as were baptized into Christ were baptized into His death...
...we have been united together in the likeness of His death...
...that our old man was crucified with Him...
...For he who has died has been freed from sin.
Here's the message of Easter
Romans 6: 9
Knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more. Death no longer has dominion over Him. For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all: but the life that He lives, He lives to God. Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 14: 7-9
For none of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself. For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord's. For to this end Christ died and rose and lived again, that He might be Lord of both the dead and the living.
Galatians 2:20
I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself for me.
Philippians 1:21
For me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
So dare I say it again? JUST DROP DEAD!

No comments: