Thursday, August 16, 2007

Luau Recipies

Several years ago we served a Luau dinner for a high school graduation dinner. Tom roasted a whole pig which is not something I'm prepared to put on our blog. All I can say is it was out of this world! Some of his secret ingredients were crushed pineapple and brown sugar mixed with minced garlic in the cavity of the pig. Some of our other research yielded these recipes... This is being published without a lot of editing. Sorry. I guess you can call me for clarification. (If you know my number and if I decide to answer my phone.)

A Puupuu Platter which is the Hawaiian appetizer platter...

Pineapple Kumaki

1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1" cubes (I used canned pineapple chunks)
3/4 lb bacon slices cut into halves
Wrap each piece of pineapple with a piece of bacon and secure with a wooden toothpick.
Place in a shallow glass pan and coat with the marinade (recipe follows) cover and refrigerate over night or for three hours on the counter. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the element turning to brown all sides or bake in a shallow baking pan at 375F until browned. Replace the charred tooth picks with fancy picks before serving.
Kumaki Marinade
1/2 c soy sauce
1/4 pineapple juice
3 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. vinegar
1 slice fresh ginger root minced or 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
Blend together and pour over Kumaki to marinate.

Wah-Jah Juhn

1 lb. ground beef
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 green onions chopped
1 clove garlic minced
3 Tbsp sesame seeds
dash of fresh ground pepper
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
Mix together with hands and form into 1" balls.
Beat two eggs with 1 Tbsp soy sauce
Dip meat balls into the egg mixture then roll in
1/2 cup flour mixed with 1Tbsp. paprika
Heat oil in skillet then brown meat balls evenly on all sides.
Serve with vinegar-shoyu sauce for dipping...
3 Tablespoons of each soy sauce, vinegar, and sugar then mix well.

Mushrooms Lelani

1 lb. fresh medium sized mushrooms
3 scallions
2 Tbsp. oil
1/2 lb. ground pork browned in skillet
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup crushed corn flakes
2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
dash fresh ground pepper
1 small can water chestnuts finely chopped
1 beaten egg
about 1/2 cup chicken broth
Rinse the mushrooms (let dry on a paper towel) and snap out the stems. Chop the stems with the scallions and water chestnuts. Mix all ingredients (using a food processor is nice but don't over mix) except the mushroom caps. Form small meatball shapes to place into the mushroom caps. Place in shallow greased pan and cover with foil, bake at 325 for 15 mins. then remove foil and bake about 10 more minutes.

Ocean Cooler (great for a kid's party)

This is a blue punch that I made up myself. I used Blue Raspberry Koolaid and made it according to the package directions using about 1/2 the water called for. Then I added sparkling soda and/or 7-up in the punch bowl to taste. After putting in the crushed ice I floated "swedish fish" and a few blue sharks on the top.
Note: To make it look like an aquarium with fish in several levels I made the following ahead of time in the bottom of a clear (plastic or glass) deep container, such as a small aquarium.

Kani's Kool Blue Delite

I used the Blue Raspberry Koolaid again and followed the directions on the pkg. Following the directions on the package of Knox unflavored gelatin for finger jello. I used the Kool aid for all of the liquid in the recipie. After letting it set for a while I placed some swedish fish and sharks in it and let it set fully. As a second layer I used the clear kool aid flavor (can't remember what the flavor is) and repeated the above for a variation in the layers. When the punch is all used up dump out the ice and serve the jello into dessert cups and serve with whipped cream on top. FUN

Sal Picon Punch


In the punch bowl mix equal amounts of Hawaiian Punch and sparkling soda or 7-up. After adding the crushed ice float on top several different sliced and diced fruits. The best ones are diced watermelon (with the juices), sliced bananas, canned mandarine orange slices (with juice) and pineapple tidbits (with juice) YUMMY!

Macadamia Nut Pineapple Upside Down Cake

This one's easy...
In the bottom of a lightly greased 13 x 9 pan sprinkle 2/3 cup chopped macadamia nuts, then arrange pineapple slices (save the juices), mandarine orange slices and marachino cherries if you like. Sprinkle 2/3 cup brown sugar over the fruit. Melt 1/3 cup of butter or margarine and pour evenly over the sugar and fruit.
Make up a yellow cake mix (I like the ones with pudding in the mix) according to the package directions (using the pineapple and orange juices as the liquid) pour evenly over the fruit and bake according to the package mix.












No comments: